Garden and Roads Green Ethos:
Similar to the food industry, the floral industry has moved toward mass production and the use of materials that are not healthy for the environment. Our ethos to be a green florist is to work with products and methods gentle and healthy to the environment. Our ethos rests on three principles:
- Local & Sustainable
- Reuse, Recycle & Biodegrade
- Environmental Consciousness
Our cutting garden has over 50 types of flowers including and if we don't grow it, we favor local farmers or growers with a strong environmental ethos. Locally grown means limited pollution created from plane and truck transport.
Organic Gardening: We have 3 composters to break down floral and kitchen bi-products and use organic amendments to feed garden soil.
Water Management: Rain barrels, soaker hoses and mulch help conserve water
Forage: Greens, berries, sea shells, moss, pine cones, etc . . .
Make it: we make floral food preservative reducing floral food packaging waste
Reuse - Recycle - Biodegrade
1. Floral Foam is a non-biodegradable plastic containing carcinogenic formaldehyde and carbon black. We use wood, wire and biodegradable materials.
2. Card Holders are non-recyclable plastic. We use bamboo card holders
3. Cellophane is non-biodegradable polypropylene, we use waxed tissue paper
4. Plastic bases - We use reusable glass, metal or wood with a recyclable plastic liner if needed
Environmentally conscious delivery
Bicycle delivery when possible - it is New England and winters and roads are tough!.